The book of Hebrews boldly proclaims the superiority of Jesus Christ over all things. It was written with the Jew in mind who were evaluating or considering a potential faith in Jesus. The message to them is presented in a logical argument that demonstrates Christ is supreme and completely sufficient for salvation. It then adds practical instructions for following Jesus. One of the outstanding features found in this book of Hebrews is what is typically known as the "Hall of Faith" - which describes key people from the Old Testament who showed exemplary faith in uncertain times in their lives.
Some of the books main themes include:
- Jesus Christ is superior. The Son of God is better than angels, priests, Old Testament leaders, or any religion. By dying on the cross and rising from the dead, Jesus guarantees believers' salvation and eternal life.
- Jesus is our mediator to the Father. Christ, the Sinless One, is our only valid representative before the throne of God.
- Christ's sacrifice was perfect and complete. All the laws, rituals and animal sacrifices of the Old Testament pointed toward Jesus. When we accept him as Savior, our sins are forgiven for all time.
- Our Christian journey is not an easy one. We will know temptation. By depending on Jesus for help, however, we can grow stronger and bring glory to God with our life.
- Faith is pleasing to God. We express our faith through obedience to God. God's greatest promise to us is salvation, and that promise was fulfilled through the sacrifice of his Son, Jesus Christ.
- We are called to persevere. Despite temptations, trials, discipline, and backsliding, we can endure. God is faithful and has prepared a heavenly home for us.